Sunday, January 3, 2021

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking

 


 

 

by Samin Nosrat (read by the author)

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat  By  cover art

I have been cooking for over 50 years. While I enjoy cooking, I really have never been much of a cookbook collector and the ones I did own never filled more than a short shelf. When we downsized, I culled my small collection down to few sentimental favorites and Joy of Cooking (1975 edition), known affectionately in the family as Irma. It is the only cookbook on my shelf that I consult more than once a year. 
 
So, what possessed me to buy the audio edition of a cookbook and why this one in particular. First, it was on sale and second, I was curious what the author had to say. I knew it was not going to be a book of recipes. How can you flip through an audio file? But I had been seeing and hearing about this chef and so I added it to my cart.

At last, in the first few hours of 2021, I started listening to it. My heavens, this lady was talking my language. She was talking science and physics: the whys of cooking and blending foods, not the step by step processes. She larded her book with personal stories as she explained the whys and wherefores of salt, fat, acid and heat and we spent a very delightful few hours together.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I am not going to completely change my approach to cooking but I am going to try to incorporate some of her elements into my own cooking. I may even go as far as buying her book so that I can go back and study some of the tips and information that she imparted over our few hours together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.