Tuesday, November 24, 2020

24 Festive Tasks: Melbourne Cup Day

 Square Sixteen

 

Book: Read a book by an Australian author, set in Australia, or a book that involves horses.

Sabriel  By  cover art     Sabriel by Garth Nix (read by Tim Curry)

Task 1: Pick your ponies! Pick the top 3 horses of this year’s Melbourne Cup race (and, if you want, 1 alternative.) As always, the horses in this year’s running will be announced 1 day ahead of the race (this year: Nov. 2) and the outcome as soon as the race is run (on Nov. 3).

You will get 1 bonus point for every correctly-guessed horse.

My picks:   OH, I am soooo, sooo lazy! I am just going with the odds-makers' choices:

Sir Dragonet, Russian Camelot and Verry Elleegant
Alternative: Finche


The winning horses in this year's race are:

1. Twilight Payment
2. Tiger Moth
3. Prince of Arran

Task 2: The odds-on favorites to win this year are [...], with a betting amount of $[…]. If given that amount of money, what anticipated book(s) coming out in 2021 would you spend it on? 

Here's the rub: I don't follow the pre-publication hype and I don't follow too many current authors such that I want to read their latest book the moment it hits the street.  So, I am going to mark this one as contemplated but not completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.