Friday, May 8, 2020



Written and narrated by Rabbi Mark Glickman

I've known about the Cairo Genizah for so many years that I can't even remember where I first heard about it. But my knowledge was slim. I knew that it was discovered by Solomon Schechter. I knew it was one of the most important discoveries of old Jewish documents in the modern age but I had never heard an in-depth account of the discovery itself or of the details of its contents and its significance. In fact, I am amazed that it has taken a hundred years for such a book to be written. Thank you Rabbi Glickman for undertaking the task and for choosing to write for the mass market rather than a scholarly tome.

So, who should read this book--well certainly not anyone who thinks that they are getting an Indiana Jones adventure or a Dan Brown thriller. This is a history book. It deals in fact, some of which is rather down to earth and just plain scholarly. It is also a labor of love--and Rabbi Glickman's warmth and enthusiasm turn a story that could be deadly boring into a fascinating glimpse into the world of academic scholarship, ancient texts and the effort to find them, preserve and study them.

Originally published 7:00 pm 31 January 2012 on Booklikes.com