Sunday, August 1, 2021

Pied Piper

 

by Nevil Shute (read by David Rintoul)
 
 
Pied Piper  By  cover art
 
 
 

Once again, a winner

I am not big on fiction set in WWII Europe. I have done my share of reading about it and now I'm done. I have read some of Shute's other WWII stories but they are set in England --and they are excellent.  Nonetheless, in spite of the setting, I had been eyeing this one for a number of years; finding it deeply discounted pushed me off the fence.

Nevil Shute is a very fine story teller and this story is absolutely no exception.  John Howard was caught in France the day the German's invaded. This is the story of how he got home and the 5 children who went with him. Do read it; I think you will like it very much.
 
BTW, this is not historical fiction; Pied Piper was published in 1942.
 
Four and three-quarter stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.