Saturday, August 14, 2021

An Obvious Fact

by Craig Johnson (read by George Guidall)
Book 12: Walt Longmire
 
 
An Obvious Fact Audiobook By Craig Johnson cover art
 


"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact"
A.C. Doyle (quoted in the book)


Set at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (which means 'not on their home turf'), Walt Longmire and Henry Standing Bear once again solve the crime and catch the bad guys -- just the way it should be. The setting is a bit light and fluffy, but the mystery is not.

I have been read this series for a few years now, slowly, so that I can enjoy it, and somewhat out of sequence. I don't even remember why I picked it up in the first place. Maybe because Walt, Henry and I are of the same age. Maybe it was because it was narrated by George Guidall. Maybe because it was in an Audible sale pile and just spoke to me (sometimes books do that).

I loved the characters so much that I even broke my own rule and watched one episode of the TV show, hoping that I had found a series I could enjoy. That was a mistake; I did not like it all. Walt and Henry are well into their 60s and built like bricks. They are mellowed and matured by age and experience. They have loved and lost. They have earned their wrinkles and their quirks. At the same time, they are educated, well-read and worldly wise men. They are august yet approachable, respected members of their community. That was not what I saw on the TV screen.

I just hope that Craig Johnson has more stories in him. 
 
Three and a half stars. Perfect narration.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.