Monday, February 8, 2021

The Third Man

 

By Graham Greene (read by Martin Jarvis)
February "Agatha Christie Centenary Celebration" side read
 
Image result for The Third Man audiobook

This was a re-read for me, maybe my third or fourth time. I just learned that not only was it a novella written as part of the script development process for the film but it was never meant to be publish. And, ding! the light goes on.  No wonder I have had so much trouble with the book; it is not a finished product.  I like the story; it is very sinister and mysterious yet not all that complicated--just right for a feature film.  Still, I wish that he had gotten around to a "for publication" version. Maybe it would have taken care of the problems that I have with the two narrative voices that Greene uses to tell the story;  I can never easily pick up on the switch of voice. 

All in all, I'm sorry that he decided not to publish because I would love to read his 'polished for publication' version of this story.

Three and a half stars for the rough draft. 
 
N.B.this edition is no longer available on AudibleUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.