Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Next to Last Stand

By Craig Johnson (read by George Guidall)
Walt Longmire, book 16
 
Next to Last Stand  By  cover art

Another escape to the mountains of Wyoming. I can just smell the pine fresh air.

It was so delightful. A complicated story about death and an old theft overlaid with a bit of Little Bighorn history and the black market in stolen art work. As always, a much enjoyed diversion, no thinking required. Just kick back and enjoy. I have read 14 of the 16 novels and none of the novellas (yet). I've already decided that I am not going to read one of the books because I think it is going to be a bit nastier than I enjoy reading.

I love the cast of characters that Johnson has created; they are people to be admired (at least the good guys are; the bad guys deserve what they get) -- hard-working, down to earth, playing the cards that life has dealt them. Some of them are mere sketches but then that is all that is needed to bring them to life. Others we get to see in a bit more depth. My favorite is one of Walt's deputies, a former Philadelphia cop with a bad-case of potty mouth and the hots for widower Walt; she doesn't take shit from anyone. She is also a crack shot.

I already know that once I have read all of the books in the series that I will read the story series over and over again -- this time in series order.

The series was also the basis for a TV show. I tried watching an episode and did not like it at all. It was one and done. I will continue to stick to my rule: read it or watch it but not both.

This one is a 4 star Walt Longmire.
 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.