Saturday, August 15, 2020

Okay! I Get It!: How to Hide and Empire

by Daniel Immerwahr (read by Luis Moreno)


Maybe I am just cranky but I don't think I can read this through to the end. I get the point, I just don't need the supporting evidence and the gory details. I agree that:
    How to Hide an Empire audiobook cover art
  • there is more to US history than can fit into a couple of years of high school American History classes
  • there is more in our history to be ashamed about than there is to be proud of
  • we have to stop sweeping our mistakes under the rug and own up to the idea that we are not the goody-goody, holier than thou nation that we have been brought up to believe we are
  • we have a long history of treating non-white peoples and cultures -- Black, Asian, Native American -- as not worthy of citizenship in our country
  • we are imperialist, whether we accept the idea or not
  • it is time to talk more openly about the mistakes of our past and start understanding how they have shaped the nation that we are today
  • we aren't any better than any other imperialistic national on this planet --and in some ways we are even worse
     
I am not saying that this is a bad book; I am just saying that I am not up to the read. Based on what I have read, 3 stars. I give the guy credit for talking in no uncertain terms about the very dark side of history.

DNF after about 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.