Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Not for Me: The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter audiobook cover artI found this one in the Audible 2 for 1 sale pile and decided to give it a try. I don't remember why I chose it. Maybe one of my bookish friends had been talking about it. Maybe it had been mentioned in one of the two weekly news magazine we subscribe to. 

 It really did not take me long to decide that I was not enthralled.  I found it hard to follow with all the jumping from one point of view to another, from one time period and set of characters to another. The whole thing just seemed to drag. I don't mind long descriptive books when taking the time to get there is one of the joys of the book but I just wanted this one to get there already. Maybe I went into the enterprise with doubt and then reaped what I had sown. Whatever the reason, this book was not for me.  Solidly in the middle at 3 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember reading her The Distant Hours, which dragged and dragged and dragged. I would not have made it through that book if it had not been for BL and people commenting.

    Have you read other books by her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Kate has not made the cut. This was my first and probably my last. I bought the book just so that I could decide if she was an author I was interested in and I am not. She just did not do it for me and as MikeFinn reminds us, "Life's Too Short." I didn't DNF the thing because I thought that I should be fair and read the whole thing before I decide.

      Delete

Comments are moderated.