Monday, July 31, 2023

Monday Mash Up

 

Monday, July 31, 2023 ~ Books & More...


THOUGHTS


This week's disasters. There have been three cases of Covid in Mom's facility this week. Two day lockdown but I don't think its over; I think they need to test Mom's wing  a couple of times more this week before they say that everything is okay. And just as we started to work on getting an aide for her -- so that maybe she will stop yelling for the nurses all the time and then not remember why she called for them when they finally arrive.

Sunday, it was Triple AAA baseball for the family. We had a great time and agreed that we should do it again. The Saturday game was rained out, so we got to see the the last half of the Saturday game and half of the Sunday game (because it was 4pm already). Then it home for pizza because Nanny was not cooking! BTW, the 5 year old sat there for 4 hours without a single complaint or tantrum.

 

OUGHTTOBIOGRAPHY

With many thanks to Elentarri and her internet filching. I'm sure it won't be much of a challenge to come up with something new on a regular basis.

~I really ought to be getting to work on sorting through the photos and souvenirs that I rescued from my parents' recent downsize and move. A lot of stuff went in the trash but I tried to save family history stuff. Now I need to get it organized, digitized and distributed.

~I really ought to be spending some time on my own closets and getting rid of unused whatever -- to make room for more unused whatever.

 

100 DAYS OF SUMMER

25. Based on a fairy tale or mythology.
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Pts: 7 RT: 297 Avg: 7.24

47. Non-fiction/memoir about aviation, adventure, or exploration.
The Wheel, the Horse and Language by David W. Anthony
Pts: 9 RT: 306 Avg: 7.28

 

THE BOOKS

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

For whatever reason, it did not hold my attention. Although I did get a good laugh out of Schmendrick -- because he lived up to his name: he was doomed from the start not to succeed. I wasn't especially thrilled with narration either and wished that maybe George Guidall had been given the job.
3.25 stars

The Marylebone Drop by Mick Herron

A Slough House novella. Interesting premise well developed.
3.25 stars

 

The Wheel, the Horse and Language by David W. Anthony

Academic but fascinating nonetheless. It was not dumbed down but at the same time it seemed like the author could not decide if he was writing to a generally knowledgeable audience or for peer review -- and leaned too heavily to the peer review side, which interrupted the flow of his narrative.
3.25 -- lost a few because he couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to be.

A Twist of the Knife by Anthony Horowitz

I like the series but in this tale, it pissed me off how he didn't tell his wife all that was going on and that his wife wasn't his first call when he got in trouble. His wife was not a little kitten who needed to protected from life's realities. She was a tough as nails television producer. It pissed me off that he was away from home overnight and didn't even leave a note for her. And didn't she even notice that he didn't come home that night???? I'd have been calling every hospital in town. No, I did not like that part of the book. But otherwise, a good mystery. I like the author as a character in his own book.
3.5 stars -- lost a few points for the way he treated his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.