Monday, August 7, 2023

Monday Mash Up

 

Monday, August 7, 2023 ~ Books and More...


THOUGHTS

 

Funday Sunday was Paella Day! Now that my children are adults, paella is a family favorite and hence an excellent bribe to get my kids to come visit -- and I am most certainly not above bribes to get what I want.

 

OUGHTTOBIOGRAPHY

•  I ought to get the guest room dealt with before my guest arrives on Thursday.
•  I ought to remember that we are headed to the lake on Wednesday to celebrate the August birthdays of DH and his brother. Brunch at the pancake house and then the afternoon lazing around the lake before we head home. I hope it doesn't rain.

 

THE LIBRARY DELIVERS

The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece, placed Jul 1 (4 weeks to go, was 10w a month ago ), 27th in line (started at 78), 103 people waiting on 15 copies.
Delivered August 6.

"Another 4 weeks" was actually only another four days. Many thanks to those who didn't hang on to the title for the whole two weeks of the loan.

 

100 DAYS OF SUMMER

10. Book that takes place during the summer.
Nothing To See Here by Kevin Wilson
Pts: 8 RT: 314 Avg: 7.30

36. Book with the name of a city/state/country in the title.
My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme
Pts: 11 RT: 325 Avg: 7.38

96. Book categorized YA or Middle Grade.
The Agathas by Kathleen Glasgow, Liz Larson
Pts: 8 RT: 333 Avg: 7.4

83. Book that was published before 2000.
Death Comes As the End by Agatha Christie
Pts: 4 RT: 337 Avg: 7.32

29. Book that includes a graduation, wedding or other milestone.
The Floating Feldmans by Elyssa Friedland
Pts: 4 RT: 341 Avg: 7.25

68. Book where the main character has a secret.
How to Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie
Pts: 8 RT: 349 Avg: 7.27

 

THE BOOKS

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson

I wish I could say what it is about Wilson's quirky little novels that I enjoy so much.
3.75 stars

 

My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme

Okay, if you are going to hire a narrator, at least you should hire one who doesn't say "cordon blur" or "pesTle" or half a dozen other words that she just butchered. But otherwise, Alex Prud'home has done a beautiful job of turning his great- aunt's reminiscences and letters into a most enjoyable narrative of her time in France and the publication of Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
3.75 stars

The Agathas by Kathleen Glasgow and Liz Larson

(Thanks to Mike Finn). Look at me! I am raving about a YA title. Maybe it is YA but it is clever and sophisticated YA. I was hoping that it would fit the "teenaged narrator written for adult audience" prompt but alas, it is written for the YA audience. There is no getting past it. Most of all I like the post script that acknowledged that the book tackled some tough issues faced by some teens and gave resources where these teen could seek help.
3.75 stars

Death Comes As the End by Agatha Christie

It was a very slow start. Between recording issues and having to build the historical setting, I was ready to throw the damned thing across the room. In the end, the historical setting was superfluous and did nothing for the story. It was just a variation of the manor house theme and she should have stuck to epoch she knew best.
3 stars

The Floating Feldmans by Elyssa Friedland

Oy! 100% cliche. I really can't believe that I read the whole thing. Another dysfunctional family takes a cruise vacation to celebrate grandma's birthday. Completely predictable.
2.5 stars

 

How to Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie

Grace Bernard is really one very twisted, cold-blooded, bad-ass young woman! The whole book screams NOIR! and the ending will knock your socks off. This one is sure to end up as one of my "best of the year" titles.
4 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.