Monday, July 17, 2023

Monday Mash Up

 Monday, July 17, 2023

 

 

THOUGHTS

 

I don't know why I am thinking about this, but I am.

I have always been surrounded by books. All kinds of books. Sometimes I would buy a book just for the sheer beauty of it. Books are art.

Growing up, bookshelves were important features in our house and in my grandparents' house. The house I grew up in had a den off the kitchen. Over the years it served many functions -- a play room, a TV room, a sitting room, an office for my father -- but most of all it was the family library. Pop, the do-it-yourselfer, installed those rail and bracket bookshelves that were popular in the 60s. Considering my father's propensity for DIY calamity, we are lucky that the shelves were level and still hanging when they sold the house 20 years later. They ran the full length of the only wall in the room that did not have a door or a window and they were full of books from floor to ceiling. We still own some of them; they are with my parents in their new apartment. There were books and bookshelves in all the bedrooms and each of us had our own collection of books. And heaven forbid if you borrowed without asking! There were books everywhere. We were surrounded.

My houses have always been full of books and bookshelves as well. I like the sturdy white wooden ones, not the kind that hang from the walls. There are books and bookshelves in all the bedrooms, too. The one thing I always encouraged my kids to buy was books. They gave up asking for toys or candy in the supermarket; the answer was always, "no!" But a trip to the bookstore, that was another story. A trip to the bookstore was always a buying trip. My daughter, mother to my grandchild, married the son of two librarians. The first things built in their new house were the bookshelves. Just as I had, my children learned without being taught. Books are important. Books are treasures. It is important to have books in your life.

 

100 DAYS OF SUMMER

37. Book translated into your primary language.
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
Pts: 1 RT: 234 Avg: 6.88

50. Book by an author whose initials are found in the words J-U-N-E or J-U-L-Y or A-U-G-U-S-T.
Maigret at the Coroner's by Georges Simenon
Pts: 11 RT: 245 Avg 7.00

19. Novella (under 200 pages)
The Lost Gargoyle of Paris by Gigi Pandian
Pts: 11 RT: 256 Avg: 7.11

74. Fantasy that has a setting that is NOT based upon a European medieval period.
The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett
Pts: 5 RT: 261 Avg: 7.05

39. Book with an animal in the title or on the cover.
The Way of All Fish by Martha Grimes
Pts: 4 RT: 265 Avg: 6.97

64. Book with a main character who is over 55.
The Last Days of Ptolemy Gray by Walter Mosley
Pts: 12 RT: 277 Avg: 7.1

87. Book with a two word title.
Pirate Vishnu by Gigi Pandian
Pts: 11 RT: 288 Avg: 7.2

 

THE BOOKS

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa

A strange, sweet little book. Thank you, Elentarri, for the nudge. I really enjoyed the book.
4 stars

Great Courses: The City of God by Charles Mathewes

Not a 100BOS read. It was interesting at first when he was talking about the Rome and life in the city at the time Augustine. But when it started getting into the philosophy of Augustine, I just stared spacing out; I could not follow what the lecturer was saying. In the end it was DNF. I should have known better; I always get left behind when talking about philosophy.
No rating.

Maigret at the Coroner's by Georges Simenon

This one is set in Arizona. Simenon lived in the US for 10 years including a few years in AZ. I loved the way he showed the difference between US police procedure and French. Published in 1949, this one is a lot lighter lot lighter than earlier books. Most enjoyable with Maigret like a fish out water, an observer, not an active investigator.
3.5 stars

The Lost Gargoyle of Paris by Gigi Pandian

It is turning out to be a Gigi Pandian month. Maybe because I am craving light reads right now. This is a novella in the Accidental Alchemist series. It is a quick light read.
3.25 stars

The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett

This is Terry Pratchett's last novel, the last one he was able to finish before Alzheimer's completely robbed him of his ability to write. It is not his best book; it feels incomplete -- but then again, so was Pratchett at this point. I'm glad it was published even if it was perfect.
3.75 stars

The Way of All Fish by Martha Grimes

No Richard Jury. No Melrose Plante. No British accents. Laugh out loud funny. About the publishing industry in the US.
Don't take it seriously and you'll enjoy the ride.
3.25 stars

The Last Days of Ptolemy Gray by Walter Mosley

Yup, it is old fart fiction, really really good old fart fiction. A good man who wants to make everything right before he dies. Lyrical, soulful, exquisitely written; sad and up-lifting in the same breath.
4.5 stars

Pirate Vishnu by Gigi Pandian

Necessary roughage for the literary diet. Yes, two in one week but after Ptolemy Gray something light was called for. Pandian definitely fits the bill. Something to fall back on when I can't decide what I want to read.
3 stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.