Thursday, July 7, 2022

June, 2022 Reads

 

YTD:  122 Books Read, 1196 Hours Spent
Goal: 100 books and 1500 hours


This Month: 20 Books Read, 178 Hours Spent

 

June is bustin' out all over...
 
Right. More song lyrics. Good thing I don't know any July or August songs.
 
It was a busy month and, much to my dismay, lots of things kept me from reading even more books this month. My computer has been acting up, so that has eaten up some reading time while I try to decide if it is time to take the damned thing out and shoot it! Meanwhile, more time spent trying to get it to work the way I want it to -- or even just to hibernate on command. Then I decided that I wanted to lead a "family tree" workshop for beginners. Since I have never done anything like it before, I had to figure out what it is exactly that would happen at this workshop and write the advertising for it. We start mid-July and run for 4 sessions. I just hope my computer is willing to cooperate for that long.
 
My biggest excuse for not reading was a family trip to see Great Nanny and Pop-Pop-Pop. DH and I went for 5 nights and the kids for 3 nights. OMG, I'm exhausted and need a vacation; we just got home today -- a few hours ahead of the holiday weekend rush. We decided not to attempt restaurant eating (I can't hear, the great-grandson can't sit that long and my mother can't do either of those two tasks), so there were meals to plan and execute. But it was worth every minute to have four generations at the dinner table for the first time since Thanksgiving, 2019.
 
Reading-wise, it was lots of mystery, as always, with some history and a couple of memoirs thrown in for good measure. Nothing spectacular but a couple of new finds that will keep me in books for a while, along with the series that I am already trying to work my way through. Many thanks to whoever it was introduced me to M.L. Longworth's Verlaque and Bonnet series set in Aix-en-Provence and its surroundings. It is fun when a book is set in a locale that you have visited.
 
There is no best or worst of the month for June. Nothing stood out one way or the other. It was a month of 3 or 4 star reads. No books were winged across the room as shrieked, "Life's too short!" I wonder what July will bring?
 

Dumb Witness  --  Agatha Christie  --  NEW91
The Heron's Cry  --  Ann Cleeves  --  NEW92
The Library Book  --  Susan Orlean   --  NEW93
Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle  --  Dorothy Gilman  --  NEW94
Spook Street --  Mike Herron  --  NEW95
Mountain Time  --  Ivan Doig  --  NEW96
Mystery Mile  --  Margery Allingham  --  NEW97
The Jewel That Was Ours  --  Colin Dexter  --  NEW98
Home Work  --  Julie Andrews --  NEW99
The Curse of La Fontaine  --  M.L. Longworth  --  NEW100
Great Courses: The Late Middle Ages  --  Steven Daileader  --  NEW101
Harbour Street  --  Ann Cleeves  --  NEW102
The Truth  --  Peter Grainger  --  NEW103
Death at the Chateau Bremont   --  M.L. Longworth   --  NEW104
Taste  --  Stanley Tucci  --  NEW105
The Confession  --  Charles Todd  --  NEW106
A Man Lay Dead  --  Ngaio Marsh  --  NEW107

The Tomb of the Chatelaine  --  Karen Baugh Menuhin  --  NEW108
 Dumb Witness -- Agatha Christie -- re-read
The Girls of Slender Means -- Muriel Spark -- NEW109

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.