Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Toll Gate

 

by Georgette Heyer (read by Daniel Hill ) c. 1954
an annual re-read
 
 
 
The Toll-Gate  By  cover art
 
 

More mystery than romance

I like this one. I like the characters -- both the romantic leads and the entire cast of secondary characters. I like the setting -- a bit outside the normal "life among the titled gentry" as it is set at a wayside toll gate in the middle of nowhere. I like the dark, gloomy atmosphere; there is not a lot of sunlight, warmth, bright colors and happy people in this tale. I like that the romance takes a backseat to the mystery.  In other words, I like everything about this very entertaining read.

Not quite four stars.
 
P.S. Terrible cover for a story that is anything but light and bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.