Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Whispers Under Ground

 

by Ben Aaronovitch (read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith)
Rivers of London: Book 3
 

 
 


Kobna Holdbrook-Smith could read me the phone book...
 
 
I found Rivers of London on the late, great BookLikes. Wish I could remember who it was exactly so I could thank them for the hours of reading enjoyment. Urban and magic and paranormal are not my usual fare but it is a lot of fun -- and that is what I need right now. I would love to give a synopsis of the story but I am so far behind on writing reviews that the best I can offer right now is loved it/liked it/ hated it.
 
I am enchanted by Aaronovitch's imagination. Magic and Scotland Yard? Rivers personified? And he manages to do it without being entirely juvenile and crass and without being dark and depressing. So, Rivers of London remains on the must read list.

Four stars times two -- four stars for the writing and four stars for the narrator whose performance and command of accents brings the story to life. Okay, another 4 stars for the cover art, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.