Wednesday, April 10, 2024

MidWeek MashUp

Wednesday April 10, 2024 -- Books & More...


THOUGHTS

WooHoo! Taxes are done, ready to be sent off.

Otherwise, I am just too busy to think, let alone write about what I am (not) thinking about.

 

TICKETS

Sunday can't come soon enough! Twelfth Night!!

 

READING MY HORDE

As it turns out, everything I read this week was from 'the horde' putting me at 39 books so far this year. It wasn't anything intentional, it is just the way the week worked out.

 

AT THE LIBRARY

 

Still waiting patiently.

 

 

THE BOOKS

The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson

A pre-travel, scene-setting read. Another look at the Blitz. More focused on the players than the events. A long but easy read.
3.5 stars

 

This House of Sky by Ivan Doig

DNF. I've read a couple by Doig and really enjoyed them. I could not get into this one. There was something about his language and the overwrought descriptions that drove me bonkers.
No rating

 

The Night at the Crossroads by Georges Simenon

This was written in the first year he published; one of 10 books he published that year. Yes, he cranked them out like sausage but that doesn't bother me. They are a quick read when I don't feel like anything else and I like his tales. Simenon found his niche, his style and his character and he stuck with it.
3.5 stars

Murder at the Museum by Simon Brett

The more I read Simon Brett, the more I want to read more Simon Brett. Good thing he has a large back catalog. Sorry it isn't all available on audio. I continue to enjoy his sense humor and the way he has perfected the art of not letting the humor pull the reader's attention away from the story. He just drops his little bombs and keeps going; he doesn't hang around to make sure that you got the joke or the commentary.
3.75 stars

Mrs. Pargeter's Principle by Simon Brett

This is the first that I have read of the Mrs. Pargeter series. Unfortunately, books 1 -6 are not available on Audible or the library, so I had to jump into to the middle of the series. I hope that eventually I get to hear the whole series. Yes, the humor continues, as unobtrusive as ever.

Simon Brett narrates this series. He is an exception to the rule, an author who knows how to narrate a book and sounds good doing it. Give me more.
3.5stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.