Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Mid-Week Mash-Up

 

Wednesday, March 20, 2024 ~~ Books & More...


THOUGHTS

Happy Spring, Everybody!


TICKETS

Sublime! Sublime! Sublime! Seventy minutes of uninterrupted joy. Handel+Haydn Society and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The first time H+H performed this symphony (in 1853), it was contemporary music, not "classical."

 

AT THE LIBRARY

No surprises this week. Still waiting on holds.

FOUND AT THE AUDIBLE SALE

 

 

THE BOOKS

I am truly enjoying my re-read marathon this month. Wondering how I am going to celebrate April.

 

Blood Sport by Dick Francis

Early Francis. Beautifully constructed. HB Psych.
4 Star

Bolt by Dick Frances

Francis is so good at morally bankrupt villians.
4 stars

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

Grabbed this one after reading Elentarri's review. Sadly, it didn't work for me. I couldn't find the plot. I couldn't keep the characters straight. I don't know if it was the recording or what.
3 stars

False Colours by Georgette Heyer

Twin brothers forced to change places. Lots of fun. Straight out of Shakespearean comedy, right down to the wonderful secondary characters.
3.75 stars

Bonecrack by Dick Francis

A late edition to my Audible Library, this is only the second time I've read it. It might take a few more re-reads before I have anything pithy to say about it.
3.75 stars

Ruined City by Nevil Shute
Published 1938

Set in 1930s UK. Rich banker saves a dying city's shipyard during the Depression. What a storyteller!
3.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.