Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Mid-Week Mash-Up

 

Wednesday, February 7, 2024 ~~ Books &...


 

READING MY HORDE

Twenty-five books so far in 2024. The Hollow Man doesn't yet count; not until I either finish it or put it aside permanently. Remember, too, I am reading almost exclusively from the HORDE right now.

THE BOOKS

Cops or Corpse by Peter Lovesey

Diamond never suffers fools gladly yet had to dead with a couple of them in this stories. I never even imagined the solution! As always, Lovesey keeps us going in circles then hands us a most satisfying denouement. How easy it would be to binge read my way right to the end of the series! But then what would I have to look forward to?
3.75 stars

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

I have given up commenting on TP books. He has written so many books and I have so few unique thoughts about them.
3.5 stars

Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson

Suggested by Moonlight Reader. I had some problems with it, but I did enjoy it. One problem that I had, as a Yankee, was the reader’s accent, whose fallback accent for characters, especially women, was a drawl, which is not at all a hallmark of the regional setting of the book. Then there were some “Don’t open that door!!” moments that I could have done without. But, the ‘name’-dropping was a lot of fun. The story was dark and twisted without getting into graphic violence and nightmare territory — and had me glued to the couch all day.
3.5 stars -- too many fatal flaws to go much higher.

The Torso in the Town by Simon Brett

Another author I am not rushing through. A good thing, because Brett is prolific -- and he has a quiet sense of humor. He makes his joke, quietly, and then moves on; he doesn't need to hammer it home. I like the sleuths. Two women who ending up living next door to one another, polar opposites in all things, who circumstance brings to together to investigate murders -- and to develop a friendship in spite if their disparate views on most everything .
3.5 stars

The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch

I came across the author while trolling/trawling Audible. I liked the author's name so I borrowed a copy from the library. It is kiddie lit and it was boring -- not because it is kiddie lit but because the the whole don't tell your parents, this is a secret thing was so overdone. I didn't have the patience to stick around to find out if lying to her mother blew up in her face and in the end made things worse -- which is what I hope happened. The whole thing just seemed so overly cutsey, not clever and an author full of himself. Or else it was just a lousy day and I had had enough with the book.
No rating -- and not on the list of books I buy for my grandson.

The Hollow Man by John Dickson Carr

Once again, I had to suspend reading this book -- and just when I was getting into it. Well there are things in life that are out of anyone's control -- and this turned out to be one of them. I will return to this one for one last try and if that doesn't work, I will concede that it was not meant to be and move on.
No rating

Bark to the Future by Spencer Quinn

I grabbed something that would be distracting and easy to listen to. A little time with Chet and Bernie was the right choice for the moment.
3.5 stars

Devil's Steps by Arthur W. Upfield

Another tome to distract. Spies and murder in the Outback. For now, the last Upfield on my shelf. I hope I can pick up more in the next site-wide sale.
3.5 stars

They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Before there was Mrs. Pollifax, there was Agatha Christie. Enjoyed it, much better than her earlier attempts at espionage and at using her travels to the Middle East and the digs as settings (with the exception of Death on the Nile). Still,  not my favorite but up there.

3.75 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.