Monday, January 1, 2024

Monday Mash Up

 

Monday, January 1, 2024 ~~ Books & More


Source: 2024 PNGs by Vecteezy

 


THOUGHTS

Why is it that the years just seem to fly by? I keep asking the question but never seem to get a satisfactory answer. Art work by DD1.

Wishing you all a Happy & Healthy, Peaceful & Prosperous and Very Bookish New Year.

 

 

 

 

 

AT THE MUSEUM

One of the joys of living where we do is the little art museum down the street. They bring in some pretty amazing exhibits such as the one that is currently there of Rembrandt's etchings. We finally made time to see the exhibition -- and I plan to go back once more before it leaves in the middle of February to take more pictures. Most of what is on display is from the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam and all but 10 works are by Rembrandt; the remainder are works from those who inspired and were inspired by him.

I especially enjoyed the side by side comparison of Rembrandt with other artists doing the same scene -- and most of the time felt that Rembrandt did a much better job at evoking emotion. I'm sorry I don't have pictures to share of the comparisons. Maybe another time, if I can get decent pictures of the works; the lights in the gallery reflect off the glass.

Here is a quick video produced by WAM: https://youtu.be/8ZmuTdDnk84

 

 

 

THE BOOKS

 

Thieves' Gambit by Kayvion Lewis

How did I not love thee? Let me count the ways. DD1 recommended this one to me. I put a hold on it immediately, sight unseen, and it arrived while I was in Philly, trying to read The Hollow Man. Even having read up on the book would not have prepared me for what I found.

I could not wait for it to end; it dragged. The characters were just plain down right mean, selfish people using the MC to take revenge on one another or for cheap entertainment -- and they got away with it. At the end of the book, there is absolutely no remorse for how they used the MC and even worse, MC is willing to forgive her mother for how she behaved. Not nice. Not nice at all -- and I just don't get it. There is no lesson here for young readers other than to say that it is okay to use and abuse people.

I can't believe that Amazon editors named this book among the top 20 YA books of 2023. And to call it a thriller when it dragged so. I don't get it. It must be my age.
2 stars -- because it isn't the worst book I've read this year, it is just completely without moral compass.

The Busy Body by Donald Westlake

Necessary Roughage!! Westlake is not great literature but he sure is a lot of fun to read.
3.25

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon

Sorry, Michael, this one just didn't do it for me. Some of my problem was the ornate language you tried to employ, trying to give it an old world feel. That didn't work well and it was distracting. The start was rocky, too. I like the "Jews with swords" idea but you lost me at the start and I never found my way back.
3 stars -- for a man who cranks out 4-5 star work on a regular basis

Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

I love Scalzi best when his tongue is firmly in his cheek -- and read to me by Wesley Crusher. In other words, I enjoyed this one but really have nothing specific to say about it --other than I love how the cover gives nothing away.
3.5 stars

Cotton Comes to Harlem by Chester Himes

Hard-boiled detective fiction. Very well written, especially the creative cussing. There was no way that Himes could have used what was actually being used on the street and get published -- and even the language he did use was pushing it in 1964. I enjoyed the book very much but it isn't quite light reading.
3.25

Seven Dead by J. Jefferson Farjeon

Locked room mystery. I had trouble with this one. I couldn't keep the characters straight and I'm still not sure of the 'howdunit.' Still, I really enjoyed the story and will throw this one back on TBR to re-read at a later date so I can catch what I missed the first go round.

And finally, the last book of the year

 
Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

A great way to end the year!
4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.