Monday, May 15, 2023

 May 15, 2023


THIS WEEK'S READS

 

Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie
Buddy read from last week carried over into this week. I finished all of the stories and then accidentally returned the book to the library.  One tap in the wrong place and it was gone.😞 I enjoyed the  rest of the stories but not enough to want to pick them apart one at a time.
3.25 stars

Bookish People by Susan Coll
Another one killed, only in part, by the narrator. The narrator on this one was so bad it got a full page review. https://www.secretreadingroom.com/2023/05/10/peregrinations-review-60/
3 stars

The Crime of Miss Oyster Brown and Other Stories by Peter Lovesey
I'm hooked on Peter Lovesey! I like his writing style and I positively loved each and every one of these 18 short stories.  He is a master of dissimulation and legerdemain. Lovesey is one of those authors who does not write beyond the close; thank goodness, he doesn't tell you every little thing that happens after the reveal. The stories in this volume were written very early on in his career and already he has mastered the genre. I am slowly working my way through his works because I want the treats to last for a long time.
4.5 stars

The Defense by Steven Cavanagh
Courtroom thriller. Eddie Flynn is a con-man turned attorney, a very good  defense attorney who is very good in the courtroom. Still,  I have mixed emotions about this one. It is a bit more graphically violent than I enjoy reading. On the other hand, it is a very clever story. One twist, one turn, one blind alley after another right through to a bang-up ending.
3.5 stars.

The Great Tours: England,Scotland and Wales by Patrick N. Allitt
I also started reading a Great Courses lecture series delivered by one of my favorite lecturers. I started it but haven't returned to it. Great Courses has started a travel section in its catalog and I picked up this one because we are traveling to the UK in 2024. I thought it might be interesting to hear Allitt's take on the sites. I will return to it later this year -- unless the freebie is removed from my bookshelf because it is no longer free.
No rating at this time

Finlay Donovan Is Killing It by Elle Cosimano
After listening to other people talk about this one that I had already DNFed, I decided to give it another try. Glad I did. It is actually quite funny once you sit back and accept it as "purely to entertain." There are more books in the series and I'm on the fence about reading more of them. Maybe the next time I want some light-handed murder and mayhem.
3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.