Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Taking Out the Trash: August


 

A new month and I'm still in the "I'd rather read than write" mode.  Hence, another edition of "Taking Out the Trash." Although I was moved to write two full reviews for books I have read this month, which is a step in the right direction.

VINTAGE MYSTERY

Let's start with Ellery Queen. Yes, I know some of you are rolling your eyeballs but I like Ellery Queen and I read two of them. The first one was Halfway House. It is one of the better Ellery Queen's that I have read. I enjoyed this one because part of the setting was not too far from where I grew up. It was fun listening to the story and then trying to figure out how long it really took to get from place to place and what roads would have  been used in the days before the Interstate highways were built.  The second book was The Door Between.  Twisted characters. Twisted plot.

Ngaio Marsh's The Nursing Home Murder was "positively delightful," (I quote myself) so much better than Christie at the same point in her career (book 3). So was the finish of M.L. Longworth's Verlaque and Bonnet series that I mentioned in the July edition-- delightful, that is. It wasn't better than Christie or Marsh; let's be clear on that. A fun choice for HB: Cozy if you are looking for something new.

Ever since Cyril Hare came up in an Agatha side-reads poll and I read An English Murder, I have wanted to read more books by the author. I'm bummed that there aren't many available to me on audio -- as in just three. I had a $20 coupon from Audible and used part of it to buy Untimely Death. Another good read. Very lawyerly. (As I was writing this blurb I paused to do a thorough search of the 8 library consortia I have access to with my library card. Only number 8 had a audio edition of anything Hare and fortunately, it was the one I was looking for. It was the only Hare they had at all. Needless to say, I borrowed it on the spot).

At the end of July, I circled back to re-read Death on the Nile, this time the Branagh reading. I decided that given a choice of Branagh or Suchet that I preferred the Branagh edition. Then, a few days latter I read Appointment with Death. I just want to say that Mrs. Boynton came equipped with wheels.

THE SERIES, PLURAL

I read two more of Peter Lovesey's Inspector Diamond mysteries. Killing with Confetti reminded me of Day of the Jackal and the ending was a real surprise. Never saw it coming.  Stagestruck kept me guessing as well. I liked that it took place in a theater. The books are set in Bath; I keep wondering if we'll run into MikeFinn. I must admit that I enjoy reading books that are set in places that I have visited. (Both books were read by Simon Prebble. He's on my "You can read me the phone book list."  He has so many voices in his bag of tricks.)

I read two more in the Inspector Rutledge series. Racing the Devil and Hunting Shadows. They are dark and deep; they are all dark and deep. Rutledge could only have been written as an historical novel. PTSD was swept under the rug after both World Wars. Popular fiction was written to entertain. Those who suffered psychological damage in the war had to hide it-- stiff-upper lip and all that. They suffered in silence. One Audible reviewer asks, "Does Inspector Ian Rutledge Ever Get a Grip?" and goes on to say, "the relentless misery he carries around with him is getting old." Wow, she doesn't get it. That's the point of the whole series: PTSD doesn't just go away. (BTW, this series might do for HB:Psych -- especially if you want a more cozy entry).

 The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas. I started the The Good Thief's Guide series a few years ago and for some unknown reason decided it was time to read another one. Really, you have got to go into this series with all disbelief firmly, firmly suspended. It was a good light read if you are looking to laugh out loud at just how preposterous the whole thing is. Yes, I'm sure I will read more of these when the mood strikes.

Walt Longmire. With Daughter of the Morning Star I have now read all the books in the series that have been published with the exception of one that I have decided I don't want to read (kidnappings and drug wars don't do it for me). Johnson has a new book coming out this year that builds on some things learned in this book. I'm waiting patiently! (HB: Johnson works Native American supernatural beliefs into his stories -- ghosts, spirit dreams, etc. -- especially the later stories).

ONE-OFFs

Grave Reservations by Cherie Priest gets an honorable mention simply because it is a possible contender for anyone trying to put together a COZY Halloween Bingo card. The MC is clairvoyant. Could also work for amateur sleuth.

 

Last but not least, the best of the month: A Gentleman in Moscow. I don't know what to say that has already been said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.