Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Taking Out the Trash: March Edition

My thoughts in a sentence or two on a whole slew of books that I have read but not yet commented on. These are all audiobooks and none of them is really trash; it is just that I am a fan of The West Wing and taking out the trash was their office code word for dealing with the little things that keep getting pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

 

Queen Victoria's Matchmaking

by Debora Cadbury

Interesting. Victoria & Albert's plan to unite Europe through strategic marriage was an utter failure. It failed to account for the personalities involved. Three and a half stars

 


The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

by Becky Chambers

I got lost somewhere a long the way. Three stars

 

 


Gaudy Night

by Dorothy L. Sayers

It was an interesting glimpse into university life, a world I know nothing about, but it dragged. Three and half stars


 

A Shilling for Candles

by Josephine Tey

Disappointing and I don't know why. Three stars

 


 

Of Mutts and Men

by Spencer Quinn
A Chet & Bernie mystery

I don't know why I love this quirky mystery series but I do. Maybe it is the naivete of the narrator, Chet, the police dog school drop-out. Three and a half stars

 


The Mystery of the Sorrowful Maiden

by Kate Saunders

Meh. Three stars.

 

 


Roxanne

by Peter Grainger
King's Lake Investigations, book 3

I LOVE PETER GRAINGER! I read his entire D.C. Smith series and now I am working my way through the spin-off. Gildart Jackson, narrator, is icing on the cake. Four stars.

 


Great Courses: 1066: The Year That Changed Everything

by Prof. Jennifer Paxton

Now I have a better background on the Norman Conquest. Great Courses is history made easy. Three stars.

 

 


Loitering with Intent

by Muriel Spark

Short and sweet -- and free on Audible Plus. I have a couple more on my wish list and may continue to dabble when I'm looking for something short to read.

 

 


Money: The True Story of a Made-Up Thing

by Jacob Goldstein

Forty-five years ago I suffered through a whole semester of macroeconomics taught by the world's most boring professor. Goldstein makes money and banking a whole lot more understandable and in a whole lot less time. Unimaginative, boring cover.

 


The Joy of X

by Steven Strogatz

K-12 math in just a day. Not super-sophisticated. If my trig and calculus teachers had just spoken in these terms, maybe I would have had a better understanding of what they were trying to accomplish. Probably better eyeballed so that you can see the illustrations and equations. Love the cover.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.