Friday, September 17, 2021

Second Wind

by Dick Francis (read by Michael Page) c. 1999
a annual re-read
 
 



Not one of my favorites

That is really damning with faint praise since my favorite Dick Francis is always the one I am currently reading. The problem is that I'm not sure why I don't like this one as much as some of his others -- and I am not going to spend time trying to decide why.

Meteorologist Perry Stuart and a co-worker/best buddy get the chance to fly through the eye of a hurricane but end up crashing the plane in the attempt.  They were loaned a plane to do it with the proviso that they take a small detour to Trock's Island and take pictures --and there the mystery begins.  The story moves quickly. There are lots of twists and turns.

Three stars because something just isn't right. I can't put my finger on it but it has nothing to do with the fact that the story has little connection with the world of jump racing that is the hallmark/keystone of a Dick Francis novel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.