Thursday, March 11, 2021

Charm City

 

By Laura Lippman (read by Deborah Hazlett)
Book 2: Tess Monaghan
AudiblePlus 
 
Charm City Audiobook By Laura Lippman cover art


I like everything about this book except the reader, who, it seems, would not recognize a Baltimore accent if it bit her in the ass; the Baltimore accent does not include a southern drawl or a Texas twang, so why does every character in the book talk with a drawl or a twang? Really, really annoying.

Otherwise, I liked the story. I liked the multiple mysteries that had to be solved. I liked the twists and turns . I like that it was a cozy mystery with a slightly hard-boiled main character -- tough and down to earth but missing the Kinsey Milhone baggage. It was an easy, light read, good for those days when you don't want to have to think.

In a few years, I'll be able to read another one of this series, when I have forgotten all about the terrible narrator.

Three stars for the author and her book -- a good middle of the road read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.