Thursday, June 4, 2020

BL-opoly: Defending My Choices


I have always thought that half of the fun of our bookish games is listening to my bookish buddies talk about why they have chosen a specific book. The other half of the fun quotient is rolling the dice and making the moves and seeing where I land.  I am delighted that in this sexagenarian body, a child still lurks...somewhere.

I think I commented in a previous post that I decided that, since I do not have a huge The Swiss Family Robinson audiobook cover artTBR, that I would start looking for my reads in the oldest audio additions to my library and so far I have done that for three titles.

The first time I landed on Square 15, I found two covers with trees in quick success -- Tarzan of the Apes and Swiss Family Robinson -- decided to read Tarzan. I just landed on Square 15 again. My first thought was, "Not, Swiss Family"  It is too much like Tarzan-- a story from my childhood. And not another Evans Above or Walt Longmire because I always seem to fall back on those two for trees or mountains.

So I went back to my first additions, glancing at covers and scanning titles for pictures of trees or mountain settings. I was so delightedTourist Season audiobook cover art to find a Carl Hiaasen with a tree on the cover because I really do need to read something that is entirely off the wall, especially after reading The Guernsey Literary Society etc. I like that it has a tree on the cover but has absolutely nothing to do with mountains; in fact it is set in a state who highest elevation above sea level is the lowest in the country at a mere 345 feet (105m). Hiaasen-land is populated with crazy insane people and I am looking forward to spending time with them.